Publisher: J & L Books and D.A.P.
Text by Sandra S. Phillips.
Edited by Mike Mandel, Jason Fulford and Sharon Helgason Gallagher
227 pp. total
50 four-color and 250 black-and-white reproductions, plus 135 cards.
Box measures 12.75 x 1.9 x 9.5 in
signed by Mike Mandel
Special PMVABF offer:
1 copy only comes with 9 vintage cards from The Baseball Photographer Trading Cards: Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Robert Heinecken, Larry Sultan, Mike Mandel, Ed Ruscha, Manuel Bravo, Harry Callahan, Aaron Siskind
Mike Mandel is best known for his project Baseball Photographer Trading Cards, as well as his collaborations with the late Larry Sultan. Mandel employs conceptual structures and social commentary underneath a playful presentation. For the Baseball Photographer Trading Cards, Mandel travelled across the US in 1974, posing 134 photographers and curators as ball players, and photographing them. Participants included famous figures (Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Harry Callahan, Minor White, Aaron Siskind, William Eggleston, Ed Ruscha, John Szarkowski) as well as lesser-known artists. Cards were made of each participant, and included “stats” such as height, weight, home, favorite camera and a personal statement. The original cards were sold in packs of ten.
1) Facsimile of Myself: Timed Exposures. Originally published in 1971. Soft cover. Photographically illustrated wrappers (saddle bound); no dust jacket as issued. Photographs and introduction by Mike Mandel. Unpaginated (36 pp.), with black-and-white plates throughout. 5-1/2 x 8-1/2 inches.
2) Facsimile of Seven Never Before Seen Portraits of Edward Weston. Originally published in 1974. Soft cover. Photographically illustrated wrappers (saddle bound); no dust jacket as issued. Photographs and introduction by Mike Mandel. Unpaginated (20 pp.), with 4 black-and-white plates and 3 four-color plates. 8-3/8 x 5-1/2 inches.
3) Facsimile complete set of Baseball-Photographer Trading Cards (135 cards). Originally published in 1975. 134 individual trading cards, plus 1 additional card listing the complete checklist of participating photographers. Photographs by Mike Mandel. Texts, statistics and quotes by the respective artists printed on verso. Each card 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 inches.
4) Previously unpublished projects: Motel Postcards, People in Cars, and Mrs. Kilpatric.
5) Ephemera, including selected facsimile contact sheets from the baseball photo shoots and a letter regarding Edward Weston from Charis Wilson to Mandel.
6) A pack of 10 original 1975 Baseball-Photographer Trading Cards (including fake chewing gum).